One of the things I’ve experienced that’s quite difficult about blogging is the vagueness of this job, or hobby. If you’re a blogger or someone who reads blogs all the time I’m sure you’ve heard many questions from family members or friends asking you about the details of blogging. Because there are so many things that are quite unknown in this field I thought about it and came up with 8 truths about blogging and I’ll tell you what to learn from them.
1. Most people won’t believe you’re actually busy because your run a blog: I can’t recall the amount of times friends called me during a workday and I had this exact conversation. Me: ‘let me call you back, I’m super busy’ – Friend: with what? – Me: I have to finish so many things for my blog – Friend: how can you be busy with blogging? You just have to upload a picture of yourself? Sounds familiar? Well guys, blogging takes so much time and there’s a lot that goes into it. Shooting, editing, writing articles, replying to e-mails (I get over a 100 e-mails each day), planning, going to events (which takes easily up to 3 hours) brainstorming about new ideas, going to showrooms, traveling, the list is endless.
2. Planning is the hardest thing to do as a blogger: as a blogger there are many variables that make it hard to plan. As for us Dutchies it’s super hard to plan on when to shoot because the weather is always very bipolar and it rains all the time. As stated in the first truth we’re very busy so often when I plan to shoot two looks in one day I just can’t make it. Also a lot of collaborations come in last minute which seems to shake up things quite frequently.
3. You and you’re readers are mostly not on the same page: this is one of the blogging truths I really dislike. I always talk about this with my blogger friends and literally every blogger I talked to about this agrees with me. When I think a post is awesome you guys don’t give it as much attention to other posts where I’m not sure about whether I like them. I don’t know what it is, but it’s true.
4. The wrong perception: I can’t tell you how many times people asked me if I was auditioning to be a model. No, I don’t want to be a model and yes, I just like posting my outfit pictures online:
5. People lie about their analytics: I’m a little naive to some things but I really found out that a lot of bloggers lie about their analytics. I do understand that if you want to get into a show or want a cool job you get very tempted to exaggerate a little but I think it’s sad people do this. Hey, I didn’t say every truth was going to be exciting ;-).
6. Not everyone is going to like you: especially when I first started out with blogging I thought every blogger was going to be my friend because we had the same interest and the same goes regarding everyone who workes in this industry. Unfortunately this isn’t true and in fact, bloggers get very competitive with each other and of course there’s a lot of gossip. I would strongly advise everyone to not get into this and to focus on your own thing, most importantly creating your own original content. I do have to say though that I made a couple of amazing friends which I’m sure I will hang out with for a long time.
7. Instagram is as important as your blog: it’s crazy how every agency and PR company I meet up with points this out. Just like you give a lot of attention to the content you put on your blog, spend a little extra time on your Instagram as it’s one of the first impressions people get from your brand.
8. Blogging shouldn’t be taking over your life: when I focus on blogging and gaining a lot of followers to much I always seem to lack inspiration so I’ve definitely learned to not only do other things than blogging but also to keep surrounding myself with people who work in a completely different field as I find that this is the best to keep your head in the right place and the inspiration flowing.
It would be very fun to read your truths about blogging and I wonder if you agree with mine! Look forward to reading them. And don’t Big kiss, N.
Disclaimer: Header image found on Pinterest