Hi guys! Happy Wednesday! You know Wednesday means a new article with tips of course. I’m so happy to see how many of you read these posts every week, puts a big smile on my face! This week I decided to write down some tips which might not seem like blog tips immediately but in fact they are. I think all of us online addicts sometimes spend too much time behind our laptops and telephones which not always means more inspiration or creativity. In fact, going away from your ‘digital life’ sometimes increases your ideas, creativity and productivity. Here are my 5 tips on how to do this:
1. Put your phone on airplane mode at night: I started doing this a little over a week ago and can’t think about why I didn’t do this earlier. I wake up so relaxed and I feel in control because now I decide what time I will be ready to see my new e-mails and messages. I used to get into the stress mode right away.. when I used to wake up and look at my phone to see the time, I immediately had a look on who texted, e-mailed me. Ever since I change my phone to airplane mode at night I’ve been sleeping a lot better!
2. Have a day (or hour) where you and some friends go electronic free: For me this felt like a challenge but as much as I’m married to my laptop and phone it’s actually nice to hang out with people without being SO distracted every time a message comes in or every time you feel the extreme urge to scroll through your Instagram feed (because it has been 5 minutes already, imagine how much happens on Instagram in 5 minutes ;-)). I don’t even remember the times I used to hang out with people and we’d never looked at our phones unless someones called. Now I feel old for saying this and I absolutely loooove hanging out with friends and showing each other pictures on the phone but it’s nice to sometimes go without all of this.
3. Delete your e-mail account from your phone: I understand this is too drastic for some but I’ve done this two weeks ago. As a lot of my work takes place in a different place than my office I was constantly doing e-mails on my phones between meetings or shoots. Truth be told: I cursed at the keyboard of my Iphone uncountable times because auto correct was either making me look really bad or just because it’s not easy to write long e-mails on the keyboard of an Iphone. I decided that my life would be better if I would put some more attention in e-mails and would just do this behind my computer in the office. I do always make sure to take at least an hour at the beginning of every day to do my emails and really try to empty my inbox whenever I’m in the office.
4. No laptops in the bedroom: Your bedroom is a place where you’re sleeping and not where you should be staring into the white light of your computer. Says Misses Computer Addict who’s now writing this post in her bed at 3 AM. But hey, you preach best what you need to learn most. And also, this is what happens when you take your laptop into the bedroom, you go to bed way too late! Tomorrow night you won’t be here Macbook!
5. Don’t eat meals behind your computer: Still working on this one. The three meals you have a day are so important that I decided that whenever I’m eating I really should take a break from work and the computer and to read a magazine (when I’m eating alone) or to talk to my friends when I’m eating.
Hope you enjoyed today’s article and if you have any more tips on this subject I would love to know them! What do you guys think of the tips? Would you ever try them out?