Now I expected myself the last person to give tips about this subject because I’ve always found myself having such a hard time with this matter but because they say you preach best what you need to learn most, I decided that I would write an article about this. For myself as a reminder, and hopefully for many others who also find them self struggling with this! These are the things that so far helped me most with this:
- Collect all your tasks: I always start with pulling everything together I must finish that day as I often come to realize by this step already that there are things that can wait. Just doing this for a couple of minutes can already give you a better view on your priorities.
- Ask yourself: is everything equally important? I often think everything is a HUGE priority but when I think of it with a clear mind, it seems like some things can wait, while others can’t.
- Order tasks by effort: The next thing I do is organize everything by effort. I personally like to start with tasks that take the longest time and ended with the ‘lighter’ to do tasks.
- Put your phone away: I know tough, I get distracted by that damn phone so much during a work day! When I know shit needs to be done I usually put my phone on airplane mode or just put it somewhere far away from my desk so I’m not in any way tempted to grab it and see how many likes my Instagram pictures get (yes, I know this is stupid, but let’s be honest here, who doesn’t do this?)
- Just get started: Another thing that happens way to often is that in my mind I start to stress so much about all the urgent priorities and deadlines that I end up doing nothing. Yes, not one single thing. I had the same when I was a student and had to work on a huge project. The amount of time it took me to actually get started was just out of this world. I really force myself now to just start. Even if it is the smallest thing, as long as I get myself in the right mode to finish those deadlines.
As I definitely don’t consider myself a pro yet in this department I would love to know what you guys do to prioritize your work and life? Hope these tips help! Hugs!
Image source: creativemarket